Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Yesterday I got into Seminary

It happened.  I was beginning to wonder if I was ever going to get a letter declaring whether I got into grad school or not.  Yesterday my questions were answered and I will be attending George W. Truett Theological Seminary with a full tuition paid scholarship.  My first thought was elation.  I was so excited.  I called my mom, my dad, I ran to the "Holy Hallway" to tell my professors.  I was in awe.  My next feeling was how much I don't deserve this.  As I read the letter it told me how I was in a select company of people that will be receiving this award, etc etc.  How my academic record was good, etc. etc.  I struggle though because I am a horrible person.  We all are to some extent.  I am a dirty, rotten sinner with a lot of ugly in my life that for the most part I keep hidden inside of me.  I lust after things of the flesh, I neglect spending time in devotion with the creator of the universe, and I procrastinate on preparing to teach the Word time after time.  It hinges on the ridiculous in fact.  But, I was reminded yesterday that God is faithful and he has grace abounding.  He still trusts me and redeems me even though I fail him continually time after time.  He still loves me and provides amazing opportunities in my life after I screw up over and over again.

That being said, I would like to take some time to thank a couple of people who this scholarship could not have been possible without.

Momma and Daddy - I am what I am because of you.  The good I do and strive to do is because of the example you have always set for me.  I work hard, because you work hard.  I love Christ, because you have showed me the love of Christ.  I teach children and disciple them because you have taught me how to love children and disciple them.  I know we disagree, we argue, and we say things neither one of us mean, but I love you guys and even though I may be going even further away I will carrying on what you taught me.  You will always be there with me and I will always be there with you.

Billy Don - You have been the brother I have always wanted and prayed for.  You follow fast after the heart of God even through difficult circumstances.  You have been through so much physically and emotionally the last couple of years and I have never seen you loose your faith.  You are an awesome dad, husband, and brother and I am proud to call you just that my brother.

Meggin and Catie - Meg, thanks for dressing me for the first twelve years of my life.  Thank you for being a good big sister despite my hormonal teenage outbursts and smart aleck remarks.  Catie, thanks for being a good example to me even as your big brother.  For being a faithful friend, loving others, and sticking to what you know is right.

Drs. Gore, Foster, and Norvell - I can't even express the debt I owe you.  Your passion for Christ and his kingdom is tangible every time you step in front of a class to teach.  I have learned so much through your leadership and teaching and I know I prepared because of the excellent education I have received at your hands.

Sam and Josh - thanks for being mentors for me through my early college days.  Thank you for instilling a drive in me to work hard and push myself to my best.  I can point to so many things I have done the past couple of years and know the only reason I did them is because of your encouragement.

Jon, Sam, Pat, and Dan - You are five start friends.  I love you guys and the example you set for me.  I know we don't get to see each other as much as we used to, but I still pray for you guys and I love you more than I can express.  You challenge me, you inspire me, you encourage me, you humble me, you love me, and you give me a swift kick to the face when I need you to.  We are really more than just friends, you are my brothers.

First Baptist Church - That is a lump of so many individuals who have been patient with me the past year, who have cooked meals for me, let me stay at their house, hang out with their kids, and simply to get paid for doing what I love to do most in life.  It is with a heavy heart I move on to the next stage in my life, but I will continue to pray for you each day.

God has taught me patience through this whole process and faith in him often requires we wait on his timeline.  He is God and he can do anything he wants to do. Here's to the next three months and living life for him here while I still can.

That's all there is, there isn't any more.  

No comments:

Post a Comment