Saturday, February 25, 2012

Tonight I Had Fun with An Old Friend

"Make new friends, but keep the old.  One is silver and the other is gold."

This is so true.  I got a chance to each lunch and go to a movie with Miss Maggie Pate today.  Maggie and I have been good friends since the eighth grade and when I say good friends I mean best.  She really gets me, I really get her.  What I love about our friendship is that there is no false motive, nothing to prove, no judgement.  We are who we are.  We talk about what we want to be and how we want to change, but we love each other despite our crappy stuff.

We have taken very different paths in life and I really think that is just fine.  However long it has been we just pick up and take off like old times.  I love it.  But, that should say a lot about friendship.  Maggie is a high school friend.  I have changed so much since then.  I am not near the same person I once was.  And neither is she.  But, we still are friends.  We still care about each other despite the change.

I have made friends in college.  The best kind.  I have changed since they got to know me.  I will change.  They will change.  But, you know what I have full confidence that in ten years I will still be able to call Jon Pucik on the phone and ask him to give me advice (if I can get him to answer), I might just occasionally watch old episodes of Boy Meets World with Patrick Galucki, I am going to need a good hug from Samuel Pucik in regular intervals, and I am sure Stephanie, Hannah, and I will keep up with Grey's Anatomy and Private Practice together as well.  You know why I know that?  Because people change, locations change, dynamics change, friendships change.  The love and the God that put them there to begin with doesn't.

So, I will go to camp this summer and meet new friends, I will go to Truett and meet life long confidants (and Lord willing, a significant other).  I will, I know it.  But, I will have a whole slew of friends back home, that I love and cherish and will still care for with all my heart.  Friends has a funny way of morphing into the word family.  I have my friend Maggie Jo to thank for that realization.

No comments:

Post a Comment