Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Self Control - Get rid of it!

I recently was reading the story of Josiah in my Bible. Josiah inherited a pretty bad deal. A bunch of kings before him had messed up a lot. They continued in they ways of their fathers and sought after idols and worshipped false gods. Josiah comes on the scene and the story is a completely different one. He follows after the ways of David and walks with the Lord. The Law is found in the temple and he reads it and is convicted. Josiah tears down all the high places and places of false worship because he knows he needs to get rid of it. Josiah wanted the people to have no temptation to revert back to the worship of those gods, so he removed the whole lot of them.

What would that kind of self control look like in your life? In my life? I mean, if we really got rid of the things that we knew tempted us to sin, even though we don't want to. My now former (that's hard to say) campus minister, Josh Goza preached a sermon last fall about self control. In it he told a story about a student who had brought Josh his computer and told him he didn't want it any more. He was removing it from his life because he couldn't handle the temptation it brought him. Now, its not the right thing for every male in America to get rid of their computer. You cannot put some legalistic sanction of it and call it biblical. What is biblical however is to get rid of what ensnares you.

Here is my advice, and this is a recent development in my thinking. Think about what you need to get rid of or guidelines you need to set in place on what you can and cannot watch, when you can or cannot use a computer, when you can or cannot do this, or that. I don't know what ensnares you and you don't know what ensnares me. But, friends, why do we keep talking about accountability this and that. Find someone get real with them and say I have prayed and I am getting rid of these things and I need to make sure you help me stick to it. I plan to do it. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment