Friday, January 11, 2013

A Legacy

Have you ever heard of Jerol Swaim?  Probably not unless you are a student of Williams Baptist College or know one.  To us WBCers the man is a living legend.  He recently retired as the President of Williams after serving at the school for 48 years. 48.  What made Dr. Swaim a good president?  He knew his students.  He could tell me that the college must be stooping to a new low because I'd been picked to be an RA, he could pull up behind me at a gas station in town and demand I pay for his gas, he sent hand written Christmas cards to every student every year and he sent text messages telling you how good you did in the recent theatre production.  I learned at CentriKid that "ministry happens in the context of relationships."  I don't know if Jerol Swaim ever heard that, but he lived it.  He ministered to hundreds of college students for nearly 50 years, his entire professional career spent at a small Baptist college in a corn field.  He left a legacy.

I thought about this subject again over Christmas break.  My Papa passed away after being very sick for a very long time.  As I prepared words to say at the funeral I realized how much of an example my Papa set with his actions.  He was a hard worker, he loved fiercely, he was slow to anger and he raised his children to love God and their neighbor.  Those are the words I said in a nutshell through tears on the day we laid him to rest.  The sad part is those words were criticized.  By a pastor that said we did not present the gospel at that funeral.  If telling about the life of my Papa and the legacy he left isn't the gospel I don't know what is.  Every time I preach a sermon it was because he lived the gospel.  Every time Meggin teaches a class full of students its because he lived the gospel.  Every time Racheal takes care of a patient, its because he lived the gospel.  Folks, if you leave a legacy you are preaching the gospel.

How?  Well, I'm 22 years old.  I don't know how to "leave a legacy."  But I do know it can't be just to leave one.  In other words the best left legacies were left by people that weren't full of themselves and they were certainly humble (see yesterday's post).  Friends, leaving a legacy isn't about becoming famous.  It is about the gospel.  It is about relationships and ministry.  A lot of people don't know who Jerol B. Swaim is or John Bane.  But I do.  And that has impacted the kingdom.

I really thought of all of this again this week when I got an email from my church back in Walnut Ridge.  Miss Jackie Burton, church member and long time servant of students at Williams Baptist College had passed away.  Miss Jackie was a warrior of the faith. She served as BSU director and in several other capacities at Williams for 30 plus years. Each time some BCM director or state convention  worker came to chapel to speak they hugged Miss Jackie.  She was a pioneer in collegiate ministry in the state of Arkansas.  She was a college BSU director when women were barely allowed to go to seminary.  I did not get to know Miss Jackie as well as I would have wanted to.  She retired for good from Williams (now working in the cafeteria scanning id cards) my freshman year.  I do know Miss Jackie left a legacy though.  I think of so many WBC alums that have touched my life that were first touched by Miss Jackie.  I wonder if Miss Jackie wouldn't have been obedient to God's call, would there have been a Josh Goza in my life?  A Josh McCarty?  Or Michala Gallup?  Or even a Sam Rogers?  Maybe not.  Because Miss Jackie, she left a legacy.  For the gospel. Not for herself.

Go and do likewise.


No comments:

Post a Comment