Thursday, May 10, 2012

A Good Friend

I have been told a lot lately that I am a good friend.  I am loyal, dependable, and loving. I don't judge.  I pray for you.  And frankly, if we are close I would give my right arm for you.  In fact, one of my friends recently told me (as a compliment) that if my relationship with God was a good as it is with my friends than he knows that I am extremely close to God.  It made me tear up a little. I was really honored.  Because, you know what?  I am a good friend.  I am loyal, honest, pretty trustworthy, and I am a dang good listener.  But, this post isn't to tell you how great I am, it is the opposite, it is about confession.  Because, later that night, I was thinking about what this friend said and I thought, O crap.  O crap is right. I am a great friend to him.  I really am, but I think I am a better friend to other people than I am to God.  I know I am.  With God I am wishy washy.  I have public convictions, but I don't often translate them into private action.  Y'all I think I might be a hypocrite.  I have been reading Kyle Idleman's fantastic book, Not a Fan.  It is his chilling and truth filled work on how to be a follower of Christ, not just a fan of him.  To really believe in him, a belief that breeds action.  I have sold myself out into preaching a Christian life of suffering - but joy thorough contentment and then I let toxic thoughts and actions invade my life.

Now, my friends and my family are important.  I want to be good to them.  I want to be loyal and all that jazz.  But, ya'll Jesus says we are to hate our family.  Hate our friends.  In comparison to him there is no second.  He is first, and he is only.  He was the only one in the race because no one else qualified.  I am sorry I am a hypocrite.  Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.  But, all of you please help me be a better friend to the best friend I have ever had.  His name is Jesus.

No comments:

Post a Comment