Saturday, September 8, 2012

Oh, Hey Seminary

Well, here I am three weeks into a four year graduate program (Lord, y'all, Lord).  I can honestly say I love school.  In every aspect.  I can also honestly say, its been rough.  Not the school part, I had rockstar professors in undergrad that totally prepared me for this place.  I mean, its a lot of work...but work I am totally capable of doing.  You know if you read my blog how excited I was about two things all last semester camp and seminary.  Elated might be a more accurate picture.  But, three weeks ago when I moved here I wanted to be anywhere else but here.

But let me tell you how I miss the familiar.  I miss WBC.  I miss the chimes of Addie Mae.  I miss chats in Grace's office, talks on Jon's futon, play practice, First Baptist Church, hugs from precious kids, cooking with Hannah and Saturdays with the Anderson's (ok, every night of my life with them).  I miss all that.  I miss being comfortable.

I miss camp.  I miss ten hugs from Caleb everyday.  I miss doing grids with Ellie and bank runs.  I miss Daniel preaching the Word, pro with Evan and Hannah, talking to Alli about relationships (you know that boy she likes), I miss hard work.  I miss 6:30 rec row and late nights counting money.  I miss store inventory.  I miss leading children to Christ.  I miss seeing my friends do the same.  I miss late nights and early mornings.  I miss familiar.  I miss hard work yes, but I miss comfortable.

And here I am without all those people, with really no people.  I am meeting people slowly.  But its not like I live in a dorm.  I am not the RA anymore.  I miss community.  Community is good right, its a 21st century Christian buzz word.  And then it hit me....Can you worship community?

Well, duh.  Community I have discovered has been my collegiate idol.  I knew that but it really sank in this week.  Time alone has been good for me.  It has meant reflection and dealing with sin, it has meant learning to be satisfied in God not other relationships.  It has meant learning the difference between emotion and reason (we'll talk more about this in another post).  God has taught me I need him.  Community is something he gives as a gift.  And are we called to live in it?  Yes.  But do we worship it? No.

So, saying all that Waco is warming up to me.  I have made threats to flee to Nashville or Kentucky or back home where people I love are, but I won't.  I will be right here where God has called me.  I will build community.  He will build community, that's more like it.  But, I won't worship it.

I am going to go do my new favorite past time, searching jobs on the internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment